Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hi ho Hi ho To EFY We Go!

Alright! Alright! Alright! Alright! Alright! Alright! Hey!
Monday morning we took a little road trip up to Flagstaff to drop off Brittney's sisters at NAU to attend EFY. It was a really fun road trip and baby Addison's first! She did and excellent job. The whole way up she was entertained and spoiled by her two aunts Jalee and Hiedi. It brought back a lot of fun memories of EFY to Brittney as a 5 year participant and to me as a counselor.
I never attended as a youth because I thought it was for nerdy Mormon kids, but I repented of that thought and decided to become a counselor the second summer after my mission. It turned out to be an one of the best decisions of my life. I was going thru a recent breakup and had found out my mom had ovarian cancer, to say the least life was pretty difficult. I was pretty down and praying one day asking Heavenly Father what I should do with my life then it came to me, EFY. EFY was like serving my mission all over again. I loved teaching the youth about the gospel and hearing their testimonies. With youth like this being the future leaders of the church we are in good hands.
Each session I became closer to my fellow counselors. At nights we would all stay up late and sit in the halls telling stories about our missions, girlfriends, high school, and other stuff. I loved the talks from the session director, the dances, game night, pizza night, hangin with my boys, teaching lessons, cereal every morning, the cheezy cheers, and every minute of it. It was during EFY that I found the comfort and guidance that I was looking for. It was reemphasized that trials can be overcomed and bring spiritual strength.
The greatest blessing was that I was able to make a connection to that would lead me to my wife. In the picture below on the right is Michelle ( my future sister-in-law) and Tia on the far left (my cousin by marriage). Michelle was in my group (one of the best groups I had). After EFY Brittney I met once at a country dance. Later she was on Facebook and Michelle who happened to be next to her at the time saw my pic. Michelle told Brittney to say hi for me, so she did. Well, when I checked my facebook I saw this really cute girl that had said hi to me from Michelle. Here's our conversation.
Brittney: hey i am brittney mccleve. remember me? we met at the ysa dance a couple weeks ago. michelle mccleve (my sister) and tia brown (my cousin) were in your group at efy - flagstaff 1. michelle saw your picture on steve b.'s account and asked me to say hi for her. she says you're a really great dancer and she had so much fun!!!
Kyle: Hey birttany! Of course I remember you! Can I just say that Michelle and Tia were my favorites. That company I had in Flagstaff were probably my best so far. Right now I'm doing my last session here in cedar and then I'm back home. YEAH! but then again its kinda sad. EFY had been amazing! Well, when I get home we'll definitely have to go dancing, but i don't know why michelle says I'm a great dancer, because I'm really not. Tell her I said HI!
Brittney: michelle says to say "whatever" and that you are amazing! ( i don't know why she won't tell you all this herself, but she doesn't want a facebook) anyways, i hope you had a great time with your last efy session. which was your favorite campus? i just came back over the weekend from volunteering in my home ward to be staff for a trek. i had a blast. now i just have to recover from being sunburnt....
Kyle: Hi Brittany, well, right now I'm in southern Utah going camping and rock climbing! Woot Woot! EFY in Cedar City was a blast! I loved SUU's campus and I had great companies. All in all it was a wonderful experience. That it really cool that you went on a pioneer trek. That sounded really fun not to mention your pretty hard core for pulling a handcart in a dress. I bet that was a awesome experience. So...anyway.... I was..uhh..wondering if I could get your phone number to ask you on a date or something. I know you probably think its pretty lame to ask for a phone number over facebook, but don't think I'm a lame guy(Michelle could probably back me and tell you what a stud and classy guy I am, or she'll tell you I'm just crazy)
Brittney:i love camping!! i am so jealous! as for rock climbing, i do that too, but i am terrified of heights, so not so much. sounds like you had a blast being a counselor! i'm going to apply for this next coming summer - i can't wait! the pioneer trek was such an awesome experience! i was the phototgrapher and now i am putting together a slideshow for a fireside. so i asked michelle if you're a real stud, or if there's anything crazy about you like excessive drooling or anything and she thinks that if i just take a bib i'll be fine. :-p my cell is 480-290-####.


So I know asking for her phone number over facebook was pretty lame, but I was so super excited. Our first date was a blast! The second, even better! Next thing we know its this




I LOVE EFY!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Jen Olson Brown said...

Carson and I were just wondering where you two love birds were. Now we know! Have fun girly!

Noelle said...

You guys are so cute! Jaocb and I met at Deseret Book. Don't you just love being LDS!

P.S. Brittney - we should plan a playdate and hang out!

Unknown said...

That is such a cute story. I'm glad you two found eachother, you are such a fun cute couple!