Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Scorpion Hunting

Ever since I was little, my parents house has had a infestation with scorpions. I have been stung a few times as well has other people in my family. To combat the nasty little critters and to have some family fun, we would take our black light and go scorpion hunting in the backyard. My mom is quite a professional. I believe one summer she killed more than 100 of these little critters. For those that never been, it quite enthrilliating. The black light turns the scorpions a fluorescent green making them easy to spot. We would use long surgical tweezers to grab them by the tail and quickly put them in the jar to dispose of them later by various methods, some of which include, lighting them on fire, putting them down the disposal, or just smashing them. One time I fried some up with cooking oil and on a dare ate one.

The other night we were at my parents house and I thought it would be fun for us to go scorpion hunting. Addison participated at a very safe distance. We caught 3 all together, plus a cockroach and a moth. We took them back to the house and put a couple down the disposal and the other we sprayed it with a aerosol spay and lit it on fire (some may say that is inhumane, but so are these vile arachnidas).

1 comment:

Jen Olson Brown said...

Great new header! So creative!