Thursday, September 10, 2009

My new set of Wheels

There was no sound, no lights turning on, no life coming from it at all. It was 4 pm during a hot and miserable august afternoon. After coming out of church all I wanted to do was go home, but my car had died on me. Luckily my EQ president had some jumper cables and I was able to get my car started. I drove my family home and waited in the car while Brittney ran inside the house to drop off our manual and scriptures, then we were off to my parents for a Sunday roast dinner. At the light of Country Club and Ray, my battery light turned on I and could feel my car shake a bit then die.

"Great!" I thought, trying to turn on the car again, but there was no sign of life.

My wife was freaking out because there were people behind us.

"Please Lord, just let my car start" I prayed silently, but I guess I needed to be humbled as I found myself pushing my car's dead and lifeless body to the corner gas station. I popped the hood like any guy would, trying my best to act like I knew what I was doing. I figured it was probably the battery or the alternator. I scraped away some of the build up on the battery connectors and tightened them. The car started back up again and as long as I kept the gas going I found that we would be fine. Needless to say, the next intersection we were approaching was a red light. I slowed the car down the the crawl of a snail, but the light still remained red. I had to make a complete stop and when I did, my car sunk into a lifeless state. I waited for it to turn green then restarted my car. I was lucky. Unfortunately the next light was red and the same thing happened all over again. (Gilbert has the worst timed lights in the world!) We hit almost every red light and every time, my car would die, and all we could do was wait until it turned green, hoping that it would start up again. Thank goodness it did. We finally made it to my parents house.

While at my parents house my mom and dad told me stories of them in their early married years and the car troubles they had. There was one time when the transmission on my dad's car went out and the only gear that worked was reverse. Yes.... he drove the car home backwards. Or when my mom had to stop every few miles to fill her radiator with water in order to prevent the car from overheating and she couldn't get it fixed because she was helping dad get through medical school. Now my parents just look back on that and laugh, but I ain't laughing.

So I'm done with spending more money on our cars, and decided to go green. I bought a nice Mnt. Bike on craigslist and since my work and school are close, I'll be riding my bike.

So now I ride my bike to work and absolutely love it. It takes me just as much time to get there on bike as it did driving, plus I get the exercise.

No comments: