Saturday, September 26, 2009

McCleve Family Camp and Hunt


This year Brittney's uncles were drawn to go bow hunting for elk and we all decided to make it a extended family camp out. Brittney and her family left Thursday night, and I went up with her sister Michelle and husband Jesse Friday night to the nice cool mountains just a little past Flagstaff.
It was tons of fun with most of the aunts, uncles and cousins up there. Cameron built a zip line, teeter totter, and swing for the kids. Uncle Lauren had a quad and Jesse and Cameron had dirt bikes that we zipped around on. We went on several little hikes with the cousins and found petroglyphs and some small caves.
We had quality bonding time playing phase 10, Scrabble, and other games. Dad brought the projector and we watched movies at night. We loved sitting around the camp fire, and telling stories and laughing at uncle Kevin and aunt Jenelle's dating stories. Brittney and I had a water fight (She started it and I finished it with her soaked to the bone). I think it all started with her giving me a hard time about losing the phase 10 game. I starting to tickle her, and after she poured water on me from a water bottle, and after chasing each other around for a minute, it ended with me dousing her with a few gallons of water form a jug.

I was able to get Brittney to ride the dirt bike, much to her dislike. She tried every excuse in the book and even tried hiding from me to get out of learning to ride (when I found her, I lifted her up over my shoulder in a fireman's carry so she couldn't escape). Finally I was able to get her on, taught her how to shift, and ran along side her as she rode. After her first attempt (not very successful) she tried running away, but I graped onto her shirt and pulled her back on the bike. Her second attempt was really good, and after a few more tries, she was shifting through all the gears and riding like a pro in the X-games. Addison was born to camp. She probably gets it from both sides of the family. She loved the outdoors. Poor girl had to be held most of the time because we didn't want here crawling around in the dirt. But she enjoyed hanging out with the family, swinging and quad riding with her dad, chilling on the hammock, and being fought over on who got to hold her by family members.
The food was amazing thanks to Mom and Dad. Some of the items on the menu were, dutch oven pizza, pazooki, Navajo tacos, hobo dinner, french toast, peach cobbler, smores, bacon, sausage. (Mom also brought some cold cereal for me) There was so much food, we had tons of leftovers.

The hunt didn't go so well. Uncle Lauren and the cousins would leave around 4:30 am and wouldn't get home till dinner with nothing to show. The saw a lot of good elk, but they were too far away for the bow.
Sunday afternoon we had a nice informal church meeting with talks from Jesse, Cameron, and Chantell.


I can't wait till next year! This was a fun family outing and another adventure to add to our list.


The fam!

Addison and Dad enjoying the wind in their face and the thrill of the ride

Addison on the swing

No comments: