Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Homemade Mud Pies

i made homemade oreos last wednesday with my beehives at my house. warning: do not eat the triple fudge and cream cheese filling if you are trying to loose or maintain your weight. oreos will not help you. but, they were SOOO divine. (thanks for the recipe stacia!) it made so many, but i am now craving more! i guess i will just have to give in. i know you would love pictures to look at of these huge oreos, but alas, i did not take any. i will repent.


the recipe

chocolate sides:

  1. 2 boxes chocolate cake (i used triple chocolate fudge)
  2. 3/4 cups oil
  3. 2 eggs
  4. 1 TP water

since i used the triple chocolate fudge, i also squeezed the extra pouches of fudge into the cake mix. my beehives used the topping at the end. roll into 1 inch balls, spaced apart. (they get flat and spread a lot.) bake at 350 degrees for eight minutes. take them out and "drop" the pan onto the counter to make them more flat and pliable (sp?)

filling:

  1. 2 bars cream cheese, softened
  2. milk
  3. powdered sugar
  4. vanilla

add milk and powdered sugar until the right consistency. it needs to be thick enough that you can "plop" it onto the chocolate sides. *i like my filling to be more cream-cheesy rather than sweet, but that is just me.

turn the cookie bottom upside down and plop the cream cheese filling onto middle. top with a second, right side up cookie. bon appetit!

4 comments:

lisa said...

Oh, I wish you had taken pictures! I would love to see pics of our beehives in action! Say hi to all the girls for me...I miss them all!

Jenna and Curt said...

Hey Girl, wow!! That is one big baby! Impressive. haha. Yeah I'm way curious to see when she decides to come. I will post pics of her for sure, we're so excited! Hope you're doing great!

Katie said...

Ooh, I very much want to make these! 2 questions: (1) how much vanilla? (2) when you say "drop" the pan onto the counter...what exactly does that mean? Drop the whole pan or take each cookie off and let it cool on the counter?

Yeah, I really want to make these.

The Mckays said...

katie

vanilla - i really don't measure it. i would guess about two teaspoons. "drop" - drop the whole pan onto a counter from about six inches high. then take the cookies off the sheet and let them cool while you bake more cookies.

you so will not be disappointed. these are divine when you are in need of a chocolate rush. let me know how they turn out.

i can't wait to see your house in construction! i drive right past your neighborhood every monday and wednesday. sometimes more often. i always think about how you guys are doing. we miss you in the ward.